Cleaning your home and keeping kids safe!
Are you taking all necessary precautions to ensure your household cleaning routine is as safe as possible for your young children? The Canadian Consumer Specialty Products Association (CCSPA) offers the following advice to help ensure a clean and child-safe home:
- First and foremost, always read and follow product label instructions.
- Schedule cleaning when there is a lull in activities, such as nap time or when children aren’t in the room.
- Don’t leave cleaning buckets containing even a small amount of liquid unattended. Toddlers are “top heavy;” if they topple into a bucket, it may not tip over and they could drown.
- Never mix cleaning products. Products that are safe when used alone may become dangerous when mixed with other products.
- Take out only the amount of cleaning product needed for the job at hand. Put the rest of it away, so there’s no chance that little explorers will get their hands on it.
- Avoid distractions or interruptions when children are present during cleaning. If you answer the door, take the child with you. If the phone rings, let the answering machine do its work!